A place where artists leave a trace
The Abbey of Our Lady of Droiteval is an ancient abbey of the twelfth century located in the French town of Claudon , in the southwestern department of the Vosges , in the heart of the forest of Darney .
• 1130: Foundation of the Abbey Cistercian of Droiteval by Lord Aubert Darney. First abbess: Elizabeth until 1144.
• 1426: Last abbess Sister Jeanne, surnamed Bourgeoise of Besançon and temporary abandonment of the abbey.
• 1450 Droiteval became a priory with John as first prior to the March.
• 1709: Appointment of a new prior Dom Antoine Girard who almost entirely rebuilt the priory and installed in the abbey a glass factory.
• 1767: Appointment of the last prior Dom Etienne de Fontenoy (deceased in 1792) and to assist the Dom Louis Francis of Hennezel, son of master glass-blower of La Rochère.
• 1790 Nationalization of Church property during the Revolution .
• 1792: Sale of domain Droiteval for 28,000 pounds to a farmer Joseph Drouot Darney .
• 1796: Acquisition by Louis Alexis Irroy of Fontenoy-le-Château who will create an iron forge in the old mill of the monks. The churchserves as a warehouse, the priory and outbuildings are used as accommodation for the workers.
• 1816: Acquisition by Jean Baptiste Jacquinot. Transformation into a factory producing scythes and gradually becomes a true industrial empire.
• 1850: Complete restoration of the church.
• 1905: Sale of the domain to Louis Tinchant and new restoration of the priory and church.
• 1935: Installation of a minor seminary .
• 1939-1945: Requisition of buildings to serve as a hospice .
• 1946: Boardingschool of the Committee of social work of the French Resistance Organizations.
• 1987: Droiteval becomes completely family owned.
• 2000: Inauguration in the church of a Haerpfer organ consisting 3800 pipes, formerly installed in the Poirel room in Nancy .
• 2004: Transfer of a part of the assets where several painters and sculptors are settled.
Foundation of the Center for Art and Culture Droiteval (association) Subject: maintain, enhance and support a part of the site through artistic creation. The Studio l´Oiseau Libre: Home with accommodation for painting courses, sculpture, engraving, mosaic, etc.
Courses: painting, graphics, mosaic, sculpture, land art, etc., for adults, locally, nationally and internationally, with or without overnight stays in the guestrooms on the spot.
The art centre welcomes artists in Residence to acquire a personal task, individually or in groups.
Over the whole year, the art centre organizes weekly painting courses and in the crypt: concerts, music bar, open stage and art fairs.
The crypt is a vaulted hall, suitable for 50 people, with a small stage with lighting and a modest sound system.
This hall and the activity halls are for rent. For more information, please contact us!
Atelier L'Oiseau Libre
2 Chemin des Pins, 88410 Claudon,